Tuesday 12 July 2011

Yellowknife or Bust

We're on the road and I thought this might be a fun way to keep in touch and have everyone updated with what we're up to as we make a long trek from the East Coast to the Great White North.  So, this first post will be a bit of a recap of the last week to bring you up to speed.

Last week, we got word that our house in Yellowknife was ready and waiting for us. Our move had been tentatively set to begin last week, so it went ahead as planned. Of course, this also set into motion a series of final goodbyes in Yellowknife. Here is a bit of a smattering of some photos from the last little while.
My math ladies, Geneviève and Eva
My super awesome neighbour Ainsley...
... and our four kids
My wacky cousin and frequent partner in insanity, Monique...
... and our husbands
...and our four girls (all aged one year apart-- how's that for efficiency?).
My university buddy, Sheila
My teaching pal, Marianne
My bestest bud Melissa and our five girls...
..on our last night in Halifax
The girls adapted well to sleeping in the hotel.

DAY 1 and 2 on the Road to Yellowknife:  Halifax, NS to Miramichi, NB (396.5 km)

Now, Melissa and I have joked that my leaving Halifax has been like pulling off a band aid veeeery slowly. 

On Friday night, I went back to my completely empty house armed with cleaning supplies from Melissa's place (because mine were all in a truck headed that very moment to the northwest). 

It was about 1 am before I was done, so I headed to Melissa's house on Saturday morning to return her supplies and say our final goodbye. 

Clearly, our farewell moment left an impression with the girls, because one of hers drew this picture of us:
Well, it's a loose interpretation. 

You see, Melissa is "Fetsi" the alien who had a bad dream that her friend is moving to Yellowknife (see the yellow knife?). 

I love this. 

I want it framed. 

See how Fetsi and her pal are crying? 

I'm sure we alarmed the girls (and probably disturbed Eli), but it's also good for them to see how friends care for one another.

So, we drove from Halifax to Miramichi on Saturday, where I missed a baby shower (boo!) and had a wonderful barbecue with my extended family. 

Check out the pictures:
We brought pretty much everything from our freezer for the BBQ, and my brother Brad was King of the Grill (he also made a delicious chili)
Nicole, Me, Monique and Dodie
Monique, Nicole, me and Dodie with our 9 girls!
Nini, Mom, Lala, me, Karen, Carmelle, Robin and Dodie
All the siblings
A bug landed right on my nose as this picture was taken!
Michelle, me and Dodie
Little "A" and Nanny
Eric, Romeo and Eli
Eli and me
Taking "family tree" to a whole new level
The cousins' children (without mine... they went to bed... so tired from all the commotion of seeing their house packed!)
Emily and Brad
Papa with Little "G"
Julie, Lala and me
Three monkeys...
Monique, me and Dodie

We stayed in Miramichi for Sunday and hit the road again on Monday.

DAY 3 on the Road to Yellowknife:  
Miramichi, NB to Lévis, QC (598 km) Running total: 994.5 km

We had quick goodbyes with Nanny and Papa because they had to go to work, and didn't want to cry too much in front of the girls. 

It's a tough goodbye to have so much distance between us, but we'll be able to have lots of plane trips, phone conversations and this blog to keep in contact. 

The girls are very attached to Nanny and Papa! 

Not to mention, I am an east coast girl to my core, so this is a big move for me, too!

Fun fact:  Did you know that Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics drag race on the highway in Grand Falls?  Neither did we, but we saw it!  Ha ha ha.
We stopped in Grand Falls for a picnic lunch.  
We passed some skunks and cows. 

Little "G" said that the stink was stuck in her nose.

The girls settled in watching movies and sharing books.

We made it to the hotel around supper time

Little "A" enjoyed the pool...
... and Little "G" divided her time between the pool and the hot tub.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...