Saturday 19 November 2011

Celebrating My Nana

My Nana completed her lifelong journey today.   
She was 96 years old.
That's a whole lot of birthday cakes!!
There is not doubt that she lead a long, full life.

Nonetheless, we are all going to miss her.

I got on an airplane this afternoon to make my way back to my hometown to honour her and to spend time with the family that would not exist, in part, without her and my Pépère.

I'm in an airport right now, waiting for a connection.  I'll be flying all night.  Maybe I'm a little closer to Nana and Pépère up in that plane. 

Now, I have lots of memories on my Nana.  It's a total perk of having grown up in the same town with both sets of grandparents, and truly, I know how lucky I am.

I remember snatching green onions from her little garden along the driveway.

I remember politely accepting the hot, squishy apples that she would leave on the window sill thinking that this would make them redder and ripen like tomatoes.  For the record, this did NOT.

I remember her meat pies every Christmas Eve, and I'm so glad that I know how to make them for my own family every year.  Acadian meat pies are best served with dry potatoes and frozen peas and carrots.  Mmm.

I remember her making jokes.  A lot.  And, I remember laughing at them no matter how often I heard the same one.

Oh, and her jokes got dirtier as she aged.  I would sometimes blush.  Nana!

I remember her spending a day with me when I ran Science summer camps at Discovery Centre.  She had a city-bus-load of kids eating out of the palm of her hand.  They all called her Nana.

I remember her spending days with me at the university, while I attended classes.  She was up for anything!  And, she was always proud.

I remember grabbing onto her as we went on the Log Flume at Upper Clement's Park in Nova Scotia for her birthday.  Her NINETIETH birthday, Nana wanted to go on the log roller coaster (floating on a current of water)!  I sat right behind her, and she STOOD UP as we were getting ready to go down the chute.  I grabbed onto my Nana, Eli grabbed onto me, picturing the two little ones flying out of the log, and my Mom just hid her face in Eli's back, too scared to look.  Ah.  That was a blast!!!  Everyone in the park applauded her.  She got off soaked and exhilerated.  Satisfied to have celebrated her 90th birthday in a memorable way.

I remember her sitting in the arm chair of her TV room with Pépère.  They were both so small they would easily fit.  And, every lunch hour, they would watch Bob Barker on the Price if Right.  They thought he was swell.

I remember her missing Pépère.  Not one Christmas tag would be written out without her putting "Love, Nana and Pépère xoxoxoxo."  Not one in the 15 years since he completed his trips around the sun.

Mostly, I remember her as so completely human.  Faults.  Lively.  Lovely.

There is a lot to learn about just that: 
we are all human, and no one is perfect.

And we are all loved.

Nana loved to celebrate with her family, and she was always happy to have visitors.  And parties, when lots of people could come.
She would often sit contentedly, just happy to witness the business all around her. 
So content with the generations who love her. 
The men were manly. 
Her children are all grandparents
Many of her grandchildren are parents. 
It really is a wonderful thing! 
Kids would be kids. 
And, we all knew to have a few spare changes of clothes when the family unites.
 
She was just so happy to be. 
Generations will continue to grow... 
And we all know to look back and cherish the memories and to pass on the stories.
And, to live in the present. 

And the future.

And to cherish the past.

Nana and me with Little Miss G 
Nana and Little Miss A
Nana loves her kids. 
  And we all love her right back.
She danced at many of our weddings. 
Often, out-dancing many of the youngin's
(Possibly looking better than the groom?) 
And, certainly, cracking up the bride.
She would never say no to a dance request.  I remember seeing Mark take Nana to the dance floor and calling out, "Don't break my Nana!"  He didn't.
So, please, if there is music in your life, DANCE!

It's always hard to see someone so full of zest and life begin so slow down, but you see, her body deserved to rest and retire from all that dancing.  And the BINGO.
So, we would just adjust our pace to match hers. 
And give her some extra lovin'. 
In exchange for some happy smiles...
...and knowing looks.
 I'm not sure who treasured the visits more. Us or her.

We'll continue to treasure it all.

8 comments:

Dennis said...

Shannon....No one could have expressed it more perfectly!!!
She was simply amazing!!!!
And so is this blog.
THANK-YOU!!!

Dennis

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! God bless you all!!

Anonymous said...

oooh Shannon~ beautiful xoxoxoxoxox
A beautiful tribute!makes one realize how lucky we all are/were to have such strong and special women in our lives xoxox see ya soonxoxoxoxxoxoxxo

Anonymous said...

Shannon you have made your Nana proud again! This is a beautiful piece. Prayers for you and your family. Safe journey home.
Hugs
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Oh Shannon... you always manage to touch my heart in a special way.... this time you have gone beyond words.... I will treasure this special blog for the rest of my days. Mom.

Sam said...

Shannon...what a beautiful tribute to my mom..I can't even swallow for the lump in my throat..the tears are trickling down my cheeks but they are happy tears..You have the gift of putting into words what others feel in their hearts and I know mom is smiling at you and thanking you for the beautiful tribute to her. She was quite a lady that's for sure and she lives on in all of us..thank you for this..I love you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is awsome , you did a great job on this . what lovly memories.Praying for you all , such nice words and pictures, God bless.
ena

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...